Pacific Beach is one of the best areas in San Diego if you’re looking for bars, cafes, and a young vibe on the coast. Of course, there’s the stunning beach itself when you want to sunbake and splash in the sea. Fortunately, Pacific Beach is home to some stunning seaside hotels. We’ll show you which rooms are best for families and couples. Read on to find out the best beachfront hotels in Pacific Beach, San Diego.
1. Tower 23 Hotel
Tower 23 Hotel is a 4-star beachfront hotel close to the Pacific Ocean and the famed Crystal Pier. The rooms are very modern and jam-packed with the latest comforts. Spread over 2 floors, most rooms have private patios, some with ocean views. Try to book the Sanctuary suite which comes with a jetted spa bath, perfect for couples. Outside, the hotel has an open-air lounge area that overlooks the ocean. Enjoy a massage, facial, or other treatments while you overlook the nearby pier. JRDN, the on-site eatery, has an exciting menu with fresh dishes and drinks.
- Guest Reviews: The room was large and spacious with an outside sitting area. Great location, was close to many restaurants and bars.
- Star Rating: 4 stars
- Best Rooms: Sanctuary suite
- Address: 723 Felspar Street, Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA 92109, United States
2. Pacific Terrace Hotel
Dazzling beach views, stylish residences, and an epic outdoor pool await at the Pacific Terrace Hotel. On top of comfy rooms and suites, the beachside resort has a gym, spa center, and gift shop. Free poolside (non-alcoholic) beverages, afternoon biscuits, and lobby coffee service are all included. Most rooms have private balconies with views of the ocean. Try to book the Master suite, but if that’s not available, the Coastal suites are just as good. With two double beds and a private spa bath, it’s perfect for friends and families. Plunge in the pool outside, and go to the cool Caribbean Bar for bites and beverages. For breakfast, you can opt for takeaway, eating in the kiosk, or in-room dining.
- Guest Reviews: We had a great room with an amazing view of the Pacific. Lots of bars and restaurants were a short walk away.
- Star Rating: 4 stars
- Best Rooms: Master suite
- Address: 610 Diamond Street, Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA 92109, United States
3. Ocean Park Inn
Ocean Park Inn is sleek from the outside, but the rooms form a world of comfort. An ocean theme with water-related artwork and coral patterns makes for a unique atmosphere in the guest rooms. All their rooms have balconies but try to book one with ocean views. Make use of the adjoining beach, or simply lounge around in the pool area. The hotel’s pool is encircled by chill chairs and umbrellas. If you’re here as a couple, it’s worth considering the Forever Package. This romantic arrangement includes sparkling wine, chocolate, and real roses in the room.
- Guest Reviews: We loved the location on the beach and the room was really nice. There were lots of great food options nearby.
- Star Rating: 3 stars
- Best Rooms: Room with oceanfront
- Address: 710 Grand Avenue, Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA 92109, United States
4. Capri Beach Accommodations at Capri By The Sea
Capri Beach Accommodations at Capri By The Sea is a highly-rated property in San Diego. Some of the appealing features of this beachfront hotel include the outdoor pool and hot tub. There’s a spacious barbecue area too if you want to enjoy lunch outside with friends. The apartment-style rooms on the inside have a simple setup, but most offer grand panoramic ocean views. Especially from the upper floors, you can see the beautiful beach, pier, and palm trees. All apartments come with a full kitchen, lounge section, and dining table. This is one of the best hotels on the beach if you’re planning an extended stay.
- Guest Reviews: The apartment was large and well-furnished with a fabulous ocean view. We loved being right on the boardwalk.
- Star Rating: 3 stars
- Best Rooms: 1-3 bedroom apartments
- Address: 628 Missouri Street, Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA 92109, United States
5. Blue Sea Beach Hotel
Blue Sea Beach Hotel is a 4-star beachfront resort sandwiched between the Pacific Ocean and Sail Bay. Featuring 3 stories and 126 guest rooms, this hotel is a great option on the edge of the Pacific Beach neighborhood. Guest lodgings range from standard queen rooms to gorgeous oceanfront king suites. Most suites have a private patio or balcony, a wet bar, and a separate living area. For more activities, you can borrow bicycles or swim in the outdoor pool. Although Blue Sea Beach Hotel doesn’t have a dining venue, there are plenty of restaurants nearby.
- Guest Reviews: Loved the view from the room’s oceanfront balcony. It’s right on the beach and there’s a nice pool.
- Star Rating: 4 stars
- Best Rooms: King room ocean view
- Address: 707 Pacific Beach Drive, Mission Beach, San Diego, CA 92109, United States
6. Pacific View Inn
With a blue and white interior in the rooms, the Pacific View Inn seems to replicate the ocean contrast outside. Pacific View Inn sits at the end of Emerald Street, near some attractive restaurants and bars. With direct access to the beach and coastal path, this hotel is in a sublime location. The rooms are simple but cover all your daily needs. All rooms have an ensuite bathroom, some even have a private balcony so you can enjoy the views. At night, you can lie down and watch TV from your bed. Outside, a fire pit by the sofas is a good hangout spot too.
- Guest Reviews: We loved how close it was to the beach and shops. The beach was definitely the standout.
- Star Rating: 2 stars
- Best Rooms: Emerald king
- Address: 10 Emerald Street, Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA 92109, United States
7. Diamond Head Inn
Diamond Head Inn is just a short stroll across the road from the sandy Pacific Beach. If you’re after an affordable hotel packed with contemporary features, look no further. An outdoor pool and a complimentary breakfast are just some of the nifty traits here. In most rooms, you’ll find comfy queen beds and a small kitchenette. The suites can sleep up to 4 people, which is excellent if you’re planning a family trip. Coffee in the lobby, parking space, and a heated outdoor pool are all accessible for free. Diamond Head Inn borders a coastal walkway, so you can go for an unwinding stroll at night.
- Guest Reviews: Our unit was comfortable with a nice kitchenette. It was right on the beach and close to the action.
- Star Rating: 2 stars
- Best Rooms: Rooms with kitchen
- Address: 605 Diamond Street, Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA 92109, United States
8. Surfer Beach Hotel
On the southern side of Pacific Beach, you’ll find the Surfer Beach Hotel. It’s a boutique hotel loaded with guest-friendly facilities and simple rooms. Although the rooms aren’t as chic as some other hotels, the ocean views are astonishing. Inside, you’ll have conveniences like a private bathroom, a small fridge, and air conditioning. A heated outdoor pool and free beverages in the lobby will make you feel at home even more. The staff can also assist you with finding surf lessons and rental equipment.
- Guest Reviews: We had a nice view from our suite. We liked that there was easy access from the beach to the pool area.
- Star Rating: 3 stars
- Best Rooms: Junior suite with ocean view
- Address: 711 Pacific Beach Drive, Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA 92109, United States
Pacific Beach Vs Mission Beach
Both areas are relatively close to each other, but they do have different atmospheres. Pacific Beach is livelier and attracts a younger crowd. It is known for its nightlife with bars, clubs, and restaurants. Near the beach, there are popular spots for surfing and outdoor activities like biking and volleyball. There are also more options for hotels and motels that cater to a wide variety of visitors. On the other hand, Mission Beach is more suitable for families with a wide range of cottages and holiday rentals. It’s much more laid back and relaxing. You’ll also find more casual dining, seafood joints, and beachfront Cafes.
Best Things To Do In Pacific Beach
- Hit the Beach – Pacific Beach is known for its sandy shoreline and consistent waves, making it ideal for swimming and surfing. Tourmaline Surf Park is a popular beach access and surfing spot at the north end of Pacific Beach. While Law Street Beach is a favorite spot for swimmers, sunbathers, and surfers.
- Pacific Beach Boardwalk – Take a stroll or rent a bike to explore the lively Pacific Beach Boardwalk. Enjoy the ocean views, watch the street performers, and soak up the vibrant atmosphere. Don’t forget to stop by Crystal Pier for stunning views of the coastline.
- Water Activities – Pacific Beach offers excellent opportunities for water sports enthusiasts. Rent a paddleboard, kayak, or jet ski and head out to explore the Pacific Ocean.
- Crystal Pier – Crystal Pier is an iconic landmark in San Diego. It extends from Pacific Beach into the Pacific Ocean and offers breathtaking coastline views. It’s a popular spot for fishing, walking, and enjoying beautiful sunsets over the water.
- Sailboat Cruises – Enjoy smooth sailing from Mission Bay out to the Pacific Ocean. You’ll sail past Sunset Cliffs, Pacific Beach, and La Jolla. You’ll receive personalized service from the crew and departures are offered throughout the day to suit your schedule.
Best Times To Visit Pacific Beach
San Diego’s Pacific Beach is a popular destination, with beautiful beaches and a range of activities. But certain times of the year may be better to visit than others. Whether you’re looking for warm weather, fewer crowds, or exciting events, here are the best times to visit.
- Spring (March to May) – Spring is an excellent time to visit before the peak summer season. The weather is comfortable, plus you’ll find fewer crowds and more affordable hotels. You can also catch exciting events like the area’s PacificBeachFest.
- Fall (September to November) – Fall is another great time to visit with warm weather in September and October. Plus, the beaches and other attractions are less crowded. For events, come for the Pacific Beach Oktoberfest. It is an annual event featuring food, live music, and beer gardens.
- Winter (December to February) – Winter in Pacific Beach may bring cooler temperatures, but it’s still a pleasant time to visit. It’s perfect for walks along the beach or exploring nearby attractions. The holiday season also brings festive events like the Pacific Beach Holiday Parade, adding a touch of cheer to your visit.
- Summer (June to August) – Summer is the peak tourist season in Pacific Beach. The beaches come alive with visitors enjoying the sun, the surf, and various water sports. It’s a great time to experience the vibrant nightlife and outdoor events like Pacific Beach Concerts on the Green.
Best Ways To Get Around Pacific Beach
Getting around Pacific Beach is easy with various transportation options available. Whether you drive, ride a bike, or rent a scooter, here are the best ways to get around Pacific Beach.
- Car Rental – If you want the flexibility of having a vehicle, car rental agencies are available in and around Pacific Beach. Having a car allows you to explore other parts of San Diego and its attractions. Keep in mind traffic may be heavy and parking limited during peak times.
- Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) – The Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) operates buses throughout San Diego, including Pacific Beach. The 8 and 30 bus routes take you to popular destinations in Pacific Beach and connect to other parts of the city. Buy an MTS Compass Card or a one-day pass for unlimited rides.
- Ride-Sharing & Taxis – Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft are widely available in Pacific Beach and are a convenient option for getting around. Taxis are available in San Diego, mainly at the airport and in tourist areas. But rideshare services are more popular, due to convenience and lower costs.
- Electric Scooters – Electric scooters, such as Bird and Lime, are a popular means of transportation in Pacific Beach. Look for available scooters on the street, unlock them using the app, and enjoy a fun, efficient way to travel short distances within the area.
- Bicycles – Renting a bicycle is a popular way of getting around Pacific Beach. Several rental shops offer hourly or daily rates, allowing you to explore the area at your own pace. Pacific Beach Boardwalk and nearby bike lanes provide safe and scenic routes for cycling.
- Walking – Pacific Beach is pedestrian-friendly, with shops, restaurants, and attractions within walking distance. Stroll along the boardwalk or explore the streets of Pacific Beach to really experience its vibrant atmosphere.
Best Pacific Beach Hotels With Kitchens
- Capri Beach Accommodations (photo above) – This is one of the best hotels on Pacific Beach if you’re planning an extended stay. Each apartment comes with a full kitchen, including an oven stovetop, refrigerator, and even a dishwasher. You’ll have everything you need for home-cooked meals without leaving your room.
- Diamond Head Inn – The suites at the Diamond Head Inn are the perfect choice if you’re planning to stay for a while. Each suite features a separate dining space and a modern kitchen, with a stovetop, microwave, and refrigerator.
Best Pacific Beach Hotels With Ocean Views
- Blue Sea Beach Hotel (photo above) – For some of the best ocean views in Pacific Beach book one of the king rooms at Blue Sea Beach Hotel. Right on the beach, the oceanfront suites offer unspoiled ocean views from a private balcony.
- Pacific Terrace Hotel – Most rooms at Pacific Terrace have private balconies with ocean views. Choose either the Master suite or the full-view Junior Suite for some of the best ocean views in Pacific Beach.
- Surfer Beach Hotel – Although not as chic as other hotels, the ocean views from the rooms at Surfer Beach Hotel are amazing. For the best views, the Junior suite with an ocean view overlooks Pacific Beach from a large private balcony.
Most Romantic Pacific Beach Hotels For Couples
- Tower 23 Hotel (photo above) – If you’re planning a couple’s getaway to Pacific Beach, make sure to book the Sanctuary suite at Tower 23. It comes with a jetted spa bath and a private balcony with an amazing ocean view.
- Ocean Park Inn – What could be more romantic than staying right along the beach in one of Ocean Park Inn’s oceanfront rooms? Add the hotel’s Forever Package and you’ll receive sparkling wine, chocolates, and real roses in the room.
Best Pacific Beach Hotels For Families
- Capri Beach Accommodations (photo above) – Capri Beach Accommodations is one of Pacific Beach’s highest-rated hotels for families. The 3-bedroom apartments can fit up to 10 people. With huge living areas and full kitchens, they’re perfect for extended family gatherings or reunions.
- Pacific Terrace Hotel – For a unique getaway, the Family Suite at Pacific Terrace Hotels has everything you need. Located on the first floor it features a large outdoor patio with an incredible ocean view. Inside is a large living area with lots of seating, a small dining area, and an entertainment center.
Pacific Beach Hotels Map
|Pacific Beach Hotels||Best Rooms|
|Tower 23 Hotel||Sanctuary suite|
|Pacific Terrace Hotel||Master suite|
|Ocean Park Inn||Room with oceanfront|
|Capri Beach Accommodations||1-3 bedroom apartments|
|Blue Sea Beach Hotel||King room ocean view|
|Pacific View Inn||King room with sea view|
|Diamond Head Inn||Rooms with kitchen|
|Surfer Beach Hotel||Junior suite with ocean view|