The historic Wellington Cable Car is a short ride from the heart of Wellington to Kelburn Lookout where visitors can witness a panoramic view of the city. It is also an entry point to some of Wellington’s most popular attractions including the Botanic Gardens, Carter Observatory, and Zealandia.
- The Ride – From the Lambton Quay Terminus to the top, there are 2 more stop where passengers can get off, Talavera Stop and Salamanca Stop. At Salamanca Stop, you can visit the Victoria University, but most visitors make their way to the top to Kelburn Terminus where the Botanic Garden is located. A complete 1 way ride last approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Cable Car Museum – At Kelburn Terminus, you can visit the Cable Car Museum for free to learn about its history. There is a souvenir shop and a few exhibits that provide good photo opportunities.
- Panoramic View – As you exit Kelburn Terminus, there is a lookout point to see a panoramic view of Wellington. Take a moment here to enjoy the view and snap a few photoshots.
|Children 5-15 yrs old||$1.50||$2.50|
|Children under 5 yrs||free||free|
|Students (must show valid NZ student ID)||$1.50||$2.50|
|SuperGold Card Holders||free 9am-3pm & 6:30pm-10pm Monday-Friday & all day weekends/public holidays$2 peak time|
(2 adults and up to 4 children)
|10 Trip||20 Trip||30 Trip|
|SuperGold Card Holder||$15.00||$25.00||$36.00|
You can find an interactive map on their official site.
- Cruise Days – On days where cruise ships stop in Wellington, the queue can be busy in the morning. If there’s no rush, catch the Cable Car in the afternoon, but even if you do arrive in the morning on these days, it’s about a 20-30 minute wait from the ticket booth to the street.
- 1 way or 2 way ticket – You’ll only need a 1 way ticket If you’re thinking about going to Zealandia, since there is a free direct shuttle from Zealandia back to Wellington city. Similarly, if you’re planning to go on the Main Downhill Walk at the Botanic Gardens, there’s no point getting a 2 way ticket. Make sure you plan your route for the day before purchasing the Cable Car ticket.
There are a number of signs on the streets to guide visitors to the ticketing booth for the Cable Car.
Buses from cruises – Buses cost $10 per person and you can purchase them when you get off your cruise ship. From Brandon St drop off point in the city, it is only a 2 minute walk to Lambton Quay Terminus.