The Margaret Mitchell House is a historic local tourist attraction in the heart of Midtown Atlanta. Although a part of the Atlanta History Centre, The Margaret Mitchell House stands alone in a separate location at the intersection of 10th and Peachtree on Crescent Avenue.
Parking is available opposite the venue and the beautiful building offers visitors not just an opportunity to know the author of ‘Gone with the Wind’ better but also understand the life of Atlantans in times past. You can visit two floors of history revolving Margaret Mitchell, her life, her book and the resulting movie.
The guided tours leaving every hour from the reception area allows a sneak peak into the apartment where Mitchell wrote most of the book. An adjacent building has a movie screening related to Gone With The Wind. Don’t miss the chance to enjoy front row seats to Peachtree and all the action from a rocking chair on the deck.
- The Apartment tour – Mitchell came from an affluent background and affectionately called this little apartment ‘the dump’ for the short while she called it home. It is hard to believe she wrote her book while here. Notice interesting details like the small kitchenette and living room furniture pieces from that time.
- Gone with the Wind premiere – This exhibit shows in words and pictures the grand premiere of the movie, the hype and excitement over the arrival of the stars and how all of Atlanta awaited with bated breath the world debut of this classic work of art. Many interesting facts and lots to read about.
- A Passion for character exhibit – Walk through the life of the author, from her stories as a child to her cotillion, her work at the paper and her personal life an a young adult. There are many artefacts on display as well as pictures of Mitchell with family and friends that give you a glimpse of the life she led before he untimely death.
|Seniors 65+ & Students 13+||$10|
|Members & Children under 4||Free|
You can purchase a combination ticket to the Atlanta History Center for the additional rates below. Combination tickets are valid for 9 days.
+ $3.50 – Adults
+ $3.00 – Seniors, Students
+ $2.50 – Youth
- For Free Entry – Beginning Memorial Day (May 23rd) and extending through Labor Day (September 7th), Margaret Mitchell House is participating in the Blue Star Museum program, for the fifth year. Sponsored by the National Endowment for the Arts, the Blue Star Museum program allows active duty military personnel and their families to visit participating museums for free. Free admission to Margaret Mitchell House during this time period extends to active duty military personnel and up to five additional family members as well as retired military personnel and one additional guest.
- Discount – You can also experience Margaret Mitchell’s Gone With The Wind Tour with Atlanta Movie Tours. Join Margaret Mitchell herself for an afternoon of secrets and revelations! For 25% off use code: WINDIE.
- Car – Free parking is available to all guests in a dedicated parking lot right across the venue.
- Public transportation – Take the MARTA train to the Midtown Station. Exit towards Peachtree Place NE and proceed east towards Cypress Street. Turn left at Crescent Avenue and the Margaret Mitchell House entrance will be on your right.