Birmingham is recognizable for its networks of canals and Industrial Revolution landmarks.
But there are places within the city that have a distinct vibe as well.
Some areas have more canalside bars, friendly pubs, and eateries that reflect Birmingham’s unique spirit.
Or, you may prefer shopping, the art scene, and historic looks.
With so many different areas to choose from, what are the best places to visit?
Don’t worry – we’ll show you exactly where to stay in Birmingham, including the best hotels.
Whether it’s nightlife or family activities, Birmingham certainly has plenty of different places to explore!
1. Birmingham City Centre
The central district is always the liveliest part of the city.
Birmingham City Centre is no different – you’ll always find something to do and see.
The area is full of industrial bars, pubs, and eateries.
You’ll also come across plenty of shops, especially in the Bullring and Grand Central Mall.
This versatile district is also home to the Birmingham Museum Art & Gallery.
And although it’s a central business area, there are plenty of great hotels where you can stay.
- Staying Cool At Rotunda [Family-friendly] – Stay in a stylish apartment with a private balcony boasting panoramic views. As units feature multiple bedrooms, this central aparthotel is great for families. (Official site)
- The Grand Hotel Birmingham [Couples] – This beautifully decorated hotel provides double rooms and apartments ideal for couples. It houses a chic Madeleine bar and a New York-style brasserie Isaac’s. (Official site)
Also read our guide on the Best Luxury Hotels in Birmingham City Centre.
2. Jewellery Quarter
As the name suggests, Jewellery Quarter is home to diamond workshops and retailers.
You can drop by the Museum of the Jewellery Quarter to learn more about the industry.
But this central area is also one of the most charming neighborhoods in Birmingham.
Jewellery Quarter has a vibrant food and drinks scene.
There’s a variety of trendy cafes, bars, and even nightclubs.
The popular Birmingham Jam House is one of the more popular places to visit.
A growing arts scene is another thing that makes this historic district definitely worth visiting.
- Staycity Aparthotels Birmingham Central Newhall Square [Family-friendly] – This stylish hotel offers spacious family-friendly accommodation fitted with kitchens. (Official site)
- Frederick Street Townhouse [Couples] – Frederick Street Townhouse provides beautifully decorated rooms with soaking tubs ideal for couples. Daily continental or a la carte breakfast is also provided. (Official site)
Also check our guide on the Best Jewellery Quarter Hotels in Birmingham.
3. Broad Street (Westside)
Broad Street is one of the liveliest parts of Birmingham.
The street is lined with distinctive canalside bars, restaurants, and nightclubs.
It’s home to popular Birmingham nightclubs and an ideal place for anyone wishing to dance it out.
One part of Broad Street is recognizable by the ‘Walk of Stars’, similar to the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
And as this area is a part of central Birmingham, you’ll easily reach other districts.
It’s definitely a very convenient and exciting area to stay in Birmingham.
- Hyatt Regency Birmingham [Family-friendly] – The Hyatt Hotel offers luxurious suites with floor-to-ceiling windows boasting panoramic views. Suites feature plenty of space and are great for families. (Official site)
- Malmaison Birmingham [Couples] – Malmaison Hotel provides unique Signature Suites ideal for couples searching for something different. (Official site)
Read out recommendation on the Best Hotels near Broad Street, Birmingham (Westside).
Edgbaston is a prestigious suburban area of central Birmingham.
It’s home to the Edgbaston Cricket Ground also known as the Edgbaston Stadium.
The University of Birmingham has beautiful historic exterior.
Botanical gardens located next to the University are also worth visiting.
It’s also a nice district for outdoor activities such as cycling and horseback riding.
So, if you’re searching for a calmer and less crowded area to stay in Birmingham, Edgbaston is for you!
- Birmingham Marriott Hotel [Family-friendly] – Birmingham Marriott Hotel provides spacious and elegant family suites. The hotel is near the centre and within a walking distance of the Edgbaston Stadium. (Official site)
- The High Field Town House [Couples] – This boutique hotel is a great destination for a romantic getaway as it provides intimate, elegant rooms decorated with hand-picked antiques. The hotel is surrounded by a tranquil outdoor area. (Official site)
Also read our tips in Best Luxury Hotels in Edgbaston, Birmingham.
Digbeth is Birmingham’s unique gem.
In fact, it’s been named the ‘Coolest Neighbourhood in Britain’ by the Sunday Times.
Industrial buildings have been revitalised into new hip public spaces.
The area has been transformed into a bohemian district full of street art.
It’s also known for events, independent cinemas, and art venues.
The Custard Factory is a popular creative hub with cafes, shops, and restaurants.
If you stay in Digbeth, you’ll get to experience the artistic and youthful side of Birmingham.
- Aparthotel Adagio Birmingham City Centre [Families & Couples] – This modern hotel has a great location close to all the area’s attractions. It provides rooms for families and couples equipped with full kitchens. (Official site)
6. Gay Village
Birmingham’s Gay Village is centered around Hurst Street.
It’s close to the city centre and the Digbeth district.
The area is known for its lively, cosmopolitan atmosphere.
It’s full of clubs, cocktail bars, and live entertainment.
The Hippodrome Theatre is one of the places hosting musicals and shows.
And The Birmingham Pride is generally one of the district’s central events.
Gay Village is definitely a fun, creative, and exciting place to stay.
- City View Apartments [Family-friendly] – Stay in a spacious, contemporary apartment that can fit up to six people. (Official site)
- Horse Fair Apartments in Birmingham City Centre [Couples] – This central hotel offers modern accommodation with sun terraces ideal for two people.
7. Birmingham Airport
Birmingham International Airport is situated in the northeast suburb of Birmingham.
It will take you less than half an hour to reach the city centre by car.
But if you have a short layover or late arrival, it’s a convenient place to stay.
There’s also plenty to see in the area.
You can take a walk in Elmdon park.
Or for golf enthusiasts, you’ll be drawn to the Hatchford Brook Golf Club.
- Novotel Birmingham Airport [Family-friendly] – Novotel Birmingham Airport is a modern family-friendly hotel with an onsite bar and a restaurant. (Official site)
- Genting Hotel at Resorts World Birmingham [Couples] – Stay in luxurious, elegant rooms ideal for couples. This high-end hotel also houses a spa and multiple bars and restaurants. (Official site)
If you’re looking for airport shuttles or parking, check our guide on the Best Hotels near Birmingham Airport, UK.
Broad Street is known for its variety of bars and nightclubs.
The O bar, Pryzm Nightclub, and Rosie’s bar are some of the popular places.
If you’re looking for a calmer yet vibrant night out, you should visit the Jewellery Quarter.
This historic district is lined with trendy bars and distinctive pubs.
It’s also home to a popular music venue The Jam House.
The City Centre is the best area in Birmingham for shopping.
The Bullring and Grand Central Mall have numerous high-street fashion and household shops.
And you’ll find plenty of familiar brands just walking down the streets.
The best area to stay in Birmingham for families is probably Edgbaston.
It’s a calmer area close to the city centre.
It offers plenty of family-friendly activities such as cycling, rollerskating, and horseback riding.
The city centre or Broad Street are the best areas to stay for couples if you want a lively atmosphere.
But if you want a more intimate and private experience, it might be best to venture further out from Birmingham.
A number of luxury spa hotels are located just a short drive from the city centre.
For more activities, read our guide on Romantic Things to Do in Birmingham for Couples.