The National Museum of Singapore explores the nations past through its many exhibits. They touch on all areas of Singapore’s culture including fashion, lifestyle, entertainment, food and more importantly, its rise from the devastation of war to where they are now.
- Living Galleries – Your journey starts on the 2nd floor with four different galleries which are food, photography, fashion and film. These are small themed areas displaying Singapore culture through exhibits and videos.
- History Gallery – Before entering the history gallery, all visitors are given audio guides which are included in the ticket purchase. You will enter an impressive dome and decend to the bottom floor as thought you going back in time. From here, use the audio guide to learn about the events of Singapore’s past. There are separate audio selections catered to kids and adults.
|Children under 6 years||free|
|Family (2 adults + 3 kids)||$30|
Volunteers give guided tours at certain times for the History & Living Galleries.
|Monday – Friday||11am & 2pm|
|Weekends||11:30am, 1pm, 2pm, 2:30pm, 3:30pm|
|Monday – Friday||10:30am|
|First Saturday of the Month||1:30pm|
|First Thursday of the Month||10am|
|Monday, Saturday & Sunday||3pm|
- Free admission – From 6pm-8pm, you can get free entry to the Living Galleries, although the History Gallery is really the main attraction.
- Talk Softly – The galleries are relatively quiet areas. Don’t talk too loud or disrupt other visitors while they’re learning about various exhibits.
- Bus – There are a couple of bus stops nearby which are only 1 minute away from the museum.
For YMCA Bus-stop (08041):
SBS: 7, 14, 14e, 16, 36, 64, 65, 111, 124, 128, 139, 162, 162M, 174, 174e, 175
SMRT: 77, 106, 167, 171, 190, 700, 700A, NR6, NR7.
For SMU Bus-stop (04121):
SBS: 7, 14, 14e, 16, 36, 111, 124, 128, 131, 162, 162M, 166, 174, 174e, 175
SMRT: 77, 106, 167, 171, 190, 700, 700A, 857, or NR7.
- MRT – Bras Basah MRT Station or Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station are only 5 minute walks away.
- Taxi – These are relatively cheap if you want more relaxed transportation. Cost would vary depending on where you’re coming from, but typically it should be between $5-$10 if you’re centrally located.